Brought new life to a neglected piece that was given to me. Even though it was stained, cigarette burned hole, broken leg and had cigarette and pet odor, I saw its potential.
First order of business was removal of the stained fabric covering and then neutralizing the cigarette/pet odor, followed by disinfecting using a non-chemical process, including treatment with tea tree oil. Remove the wood platform and then sanded (80 followed by 220 grit) it along with all four legs.
To provide more cushion and plumpness I added a foam insert I cut from…. Using fabric that matches the bench I refinished and reupholstered last year, I cut to size of cushion form. After attaching the foam with heavy duty staples, I secured the fabric to the form, again using staple gun.
Next I applied for application of Minwax Expresso stain to the sanded wood pieces, followed by second application six hours later. After a day of drying, I screwed the cushion to the wood platform. Attached the legs and fixed one of the legs by gluing in shim to stabilize the stool.
Turned out beautifully and looks great with our decor. Now its time to put my feet up after a (DIY) job well-done!